This is a beautiful winter roasted version of a favourite summer Provincial dish. Traditionally made with eggplant and zucchini, we have swapped these for seasonal root veggies. This is the perfect way to ump up your fibre intake and give your metabolism a kick. Pumped full of nourishing alkalising and fibre rich veggies, this can be the staple to any meal or the base of any soup.
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced (this is instead of the summer eggplants)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs local honey
- ½ tsp red chilli (optional)
- 500 ml (2 cups) tomato juice or passata
- 400g tin organic diced tomatoes
- 2 cups organic baby spinach leaves or shredded silverbeet
- Pre heat oven 200C and line a baking tray.
- Place all the root vegetables (not the greens) and the garlic on an oven tray and drizzle with the olive oil and honey. Add the sprigs of rosemary and season well. Cook for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are tender and browned.
- Remove vegetables from the oven, squeeze the cloves of roasted garlic over the vegetables and tip everything in a saucepan.
- Add the passata & tinned tomato, bring to the boil and allow to simmer gently for a few minutes. Stir through the baby spinach or silverbeet for your dose of daily greens.
- Season with chilli (optional), salt & pepper.
- You can enjoy this as a side dish to any meal or as a simple vegetable stew. You can add some mushrooms if you are needing some protein to make it a complete meal or some cooked quinoa.
- If you would like to make it more like a soup, add some broth to the simmering process.