Socca is a traditional French dish from Nice (and the neighbouring Italian coastline). There are many variations of this super simple and neutral dish, so feel free to add your own flair! Sarah Wilson has also created a fermented version in her cookbook Simplicious. Below we have given you the traditional French version and Sarah’s version.
Socca closely represents a pancake or crepe. It is like an omelette meets a French galette. You can even use them as a pizza base! It is a big winner in our gluten & egg allergic household.
Chickpea flour can be found in most supermarkets. It can also be called besan or garbanzo bean flour. Due to the dry nature of the flour, it is best to let it sit for at least 10 minute before cooking.
- 150g chickpea (besan) flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- Sift flour into a bowl. Whisk in water, oil and 1 tsp salt.
- Stand, covered, for 30 minutes to 1 hour at room temperature.
- Heat a small to medium non stick frying pan over a high heat. Brush with oil. For a smokier flavour, cook the batter in a cast-iron pan in the oven under the grill.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter into pan, making sure it spreads evenly. Cook 1 – 2 minutes (look for small bubbles), then flip and cook other side or until crispy on edges and golden. Transfer to wire rack.
- Enjoy warm straight away with your chosen topping (see our suggestions below) or simply re heat for brekkie the next day. We often use them like a wrap and place them in the sandwich press.
Sarah Wilson’s Recipe:
- 100 gr chickpea flour
- 1 tsp apple cider or lemon juice
- 300 ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch salt
- Take a bowl and add the chickpea flour, the apple cider vinegar and the salt together in a bowl and mix together. Cover with a clean towel and leave to stand overnight.
- The next day at the coconut oil (melted) and stir together.
- Then follow the above cooking method.
- Sauteed mushrooms with fresh thyme and goats curd
- Ham off the bone with gruyere cheese and free thyme
- Smoked salmon with fresh lemon, dill & wilted spinach
- Fresh scrambled eggs with parsley, bacon & tomato chutney