This is a powerhouse smoothie for winter. With the ski season upon us and the cold, cold days, it is important to be gentle to our digestive system and also keep our energy levels up. This smoothie is also great to support our immune system and ensure our fibre intake is adequate to keep things ‘regular’. It really does tick every box for a fully balanced meal in a cup. Enjoy!
Note: Do not add ice. It is important to keep your smoothies tepid as colder meals shock your digestive system in the winter months.
- ½ pear washed and diced
- ½ large banana
- 4 walnuts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup raw unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup filtered water at room temperature
- 4 tbsp organic rolled oats
- 2 tbsp organic natural Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cm fresh ginger, peeled (or less depending on how much you like ginger)
- 1 tsp organic Spirulina powder
Additional options to add:
- Protein powder (we like Vital Green Vital Pea Protein)
- 1 scoop NutraOrganics Collagen powder (great for your hair & nails in winter)
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/2 cup washed spinach leaves
Throw everything in a blender and blend until desired consistency. You can always add more water if you choose to. We like ours on the thick side, almost to the point you eat it with a spoon… ‘chewing’ your smoothie also helps to stimulate the digestion process. Pour into a tall glass, sit down and enjoy!
Image credit: Pinterest
This concoction consisting of fresh ginger, turmeric, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, is the perfect immune boosting and detoxifying way to support your body. It is a powerful alkalising blend (thanks to the ACV and lemon juice), mixed with the incredible anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric’s curcumin, and digestive stimulation of ginger. Enjoy sipping on this tonic throughout the day.
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric root, grated (or powdered)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch black pepper (a fabulous food synergy with turmeric – it helps you to absorb the curcumin)
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional – great if you have a cold)
- Add all the ingredients into a teapot or large mug.
- Add boiling water and stir until well mixed. Allow to steep for a few minutes.
- Enjoy hot or allow to cool and drink at room temperature. You can also keep topping up with more water throughout the day.
If you are getting a sore throat or cold, there is nothing more soothing than our Winter Immunity Tea. Packed full of immune fighting ingredients, it can be enjoyed throughout the day.
1 x cup fresh water
1 x tsp fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp ginger powder)
1/2 lemon squeezed
1 tsp manuka honey (high grade)
1 x tsp freshly grated turmeric (or 1/4 tsp turmeric powder)
- Boil water and let it cool down for 5 mins.
- Pour over ingredients and mix well.
- Snuggle under a blanket on the couch and enjoy!
Caprese skewers with balsamic dressing
- Fresh mini mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Tooth picks
- Bring balsamic to the boil and reduce heat for approx. 10 minutes until same consistency as maple syrup. Pour into a bowl to cool.
- Cut tomatoes in half.
- Thread cheese, basil & tomato onto each tooth pick
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper & drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Note: you can make skewers ahead and store in an airtight container. Just add the balsamic reduction just before serving.
Parmesan biscuits (approx. 12 biscuits)
- ½ cup grated Paigiano-Reggiano (fresh & moist cheese are key!)
- Preheat oven to 160 C
- Line baking tray with baking paper
- Sprinkle about 2 tsp of cheese per biscuit on baking paper. Use your fingers to spread into approx. 4-5cm circle.
- Sprinkle with cracked pepper.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use spatula to transfer to paper towel & allow to cool.
- Store in airtight container for up to 2 days.
Serving suggestion: top with some crème fraiche & smoked salmon or shaved beef.
Note: Our advice, triple the recipe! So yummy!
Smoked salmon & goats cheese on cucumber
- 1 cucumber
- 200g smoked salmon (you can also use fresh figs or olive tapenade)
- Fresh spreadable goats cheese (or crème fraiche)
- Lemon wedges
- Black cracked pepper
- Peel cucumber and slice into 3mm discs
- Spread each disc with goats cheese
- Top with a portion of smoked salmon
- Finish off with a squeeze of lemon juice & cracked pepper.
We believe that if you consciously start your day well, then it will have a domino effect on the rest of your day. You need a SIMPLE yet EFFECTIVE daily habit. This one you can do whilst saluting the rising sun or walking around the house trying to find that missing sock. Lemon water is essential for daily detoxification as it increases the production of liver enzymes. This tonic maximises the removal of toxins from the body, increases efficiency and function of the digestive tract and creates a clean slate for the day.
Make sure you put a big POST IT NOTE on the kitchen bench as a daily reminder with a bag of lemons!!!! This will help set yourself up to succeed!
Add juice of ½ lemon to a glass of warm water. Do not use boiling water as this destroys the beneficial enzymes of the lemon. Enjoy!
Run out of lemons? You can substitute with other alkalizing ingredients such as:
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). Ensure it has the mother (cloudy parts in vinegar). We like Braggs ACV.
- 1 tsp spirulina powder.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice to your green tea to absorb even more antioxidants!
½ cup almond milk + ½ cup water, warmed on stove top
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs raw cacao powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tablespoon maple syrup
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch sea salt
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Warm almond milk and above ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until well combined. Another option is to put warmed ingredients into a blender & blend.
You can use any milk such as coconut milk. Try varying flavours with local honey, nutmeg, cardamom, vanilla bean powder.
You can also add ½ tsp superfood powders such as Loving Earth’s raw Maca, Mesquite or Camu Camu powders.
- Essential fats from coconut oil.
- Antioxidants, hormone balancing, anti-inflammatory and blood sugar regulating cinnamon & turmeric.
- Essential minerals from sea salt.
- Protein & Vitamin E from almond milk.
- Hydrating water
- Warming to assist digestion.
- Option to stimulate metabolism with cayenne.
- Maca rich in Vit B, C & E. Great for energy & balancing hormones.
- Raw cacao protects the nervous system, reduces blood pressure, contains potent anti-oxidants (more than acai, goji berries, blueberries), mood boosting. What’s not to love?