These refined sugar free muffins are an excellent alternative to the hot cross bun! They can be made with whole wheat flour or any gluten free whole grain replacement. You can also get creative and add blueberries or raspberries for some extra natural sweetness.
- 1 3/4 cups flour of choice (wholewheat organic flour, spelt flour or gluten free flour mix)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup grated apple (washed & leave the skin on – lots of good fibre)
- 1 cup diced apple (1cm pieces)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or organic butter
- 1/4 cup local honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple puree (easy to grab a pouch from the baby food aisle at the supermarket!)
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 200 C & grease or line 12 muffin cup tin.
- Combine well with a whisk all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend together the wet ingredients (eggs, oil, honey, yoghurt, apple sauce, vanilla) with a bamix or blender.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the middle and stir until combined.
- Add the grated apple and diced apple and gently mix until combined (we find adding the apple after the wet ingredients reduces clumping of the batter).
- Using an ice cream scoop or small measuring cup, divide the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cup holders.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes